125 years of Körting in Hanover-Linden
Founded on 1 November 1871 by the brothers Ernst and Berthold Körting, Körting Hannover AG can look back on an eventful past of now almost 144 years. Originally based in the centre of Hanover, the company moved in 1890 to new factory premises in Hanover‘s Linden neighbourhood. Körtingsdorf, built back then, became an exemplary housing development for the company’s workforce.
Just nine years after its foundation, it was clear that the fledgling company needed more space. At this stage Körting had already moved from Joachimstrasse to larger premises near the main train station in Hanover. With a workforce of more than 190, burgeoning business abroad and the increase in the product range, these premises became too small as well.
More space needed
The two founders sought new, suitable factory premises. They found what they were looking for in Lindener Feldmark which was later incorporated into Hanover’s Linden neighbourhood. The two brothers proved what clever planners they were in the layout of their new site. Just a few advantages of the new premises included the rail link to the Küchengarten line, the supply of fresh drinking water via an overhead tank nearby and the huge area available to develop the factory in the future. Starting with the vast iron-foundry buildings and the rail connection, the factory began to develop in the direction of the Badenstedt neighbourhood. A big management building marked the plot to the east and was also the main entrance to the factory. In addition to various warehouses, a brass foundry, a carpenter’s workshop, a hall for working on machines and metal, as well as a testing facility, extra assembly space for building gas engines was built in 1900.
The birth of Körtingsdorf
The company bought a plot of land, about 33 hectares in size, close to the factory. Its goal was to offer its workforce a healthy environment to live in. The idea was to provide an alternative to the dark and cramped apartments in the Linden neighbourhood nearby. From 1890 a housing development was built for Körting workers on the new plot of land purchased. As semi-detached houses with stables and a garden some 800 m2 in size, each of the houses had two spacious three-room apartments. In some cases the lofts were converted too. Some 50 of the 100 semi-detached houses originally planned were built. After Badenstedt council expressed concerns about the growth of the neighbourhood, Körting decided to manage the development itself. As a result, the company maintained access roads and built a school for 120 children in 1893. The next school was only 15 minutes away, but the Körting brothers believed it was their duty to offer their own workforce's children particularly good primary-school education. In the neighbourhood small shops and an inn also sprang up. In 1895 the development was officially registered under the Körtingsdorf name.
This year Körting Hannover AG will have been located at the Hanover-Linden site for 125 years. Gebrüder-Körting School also returned to Badenstedt in 2003. Nowadays the primary school still receives support from Körting Hannover AG as well. On Körtingsdorf Strasse two of the originally 50 houses built for the workforce still exist. And the old management building is still standing on Badenstedter Strasse. It’s now used as a residential property, with 14 different house numbers lining the street.
Körting Hannover AG’s current factory is located where the company’s own electricity plant used to be. Nowadays the company is still producing its technology in Hanover-Linden and exporting it all over the world.